Marshall Alan knows how hard it is to find just the right senior executive for your property. Finding the right person is rewarding, but how do you keep them once you’ve hired them?
Boutique and Luxury hotel owners can struggle to find the ideal candidate to fill an executive position; with the industry booming, there are more high level spots opening up and keeping a senior executive after hiring them can be difficult. If they are the perfect fit for your hotel, you need to be vigilant – other chains or properties may be actively trying to woo them away.
Retaining senior executives (and really any employees) is simpler if you know what is important to them. Often, the benefits and pay offered are decidedly NOT the only things considered when an individual is deciding whether to stay at a position they already have, or accept a new position elsewhere.
The most important issues to senior executives when deciding where to work are:
- Loyalty – knowing their job is secure and that their employer seeks to retain them
- Appreciation – being told that they are valuable
- Purpose – feeling that what they do makes a difference
- Goals – being included in strategy and planning
- Personal interest – consideration of their own goals and dreams
- Respect – never being treated as expendable
- Trust – being given room to do their job without interference
- Fair treatment – never being taken advantage of or taken for granted
- Guidance – clear instruction when needed
- Permission to speak freely – able to offer ideas and solutions without being shut down
Anyone who has worked in the hospitality industry knows that profits drive the machine – but without the right staff on hand, those profits can disappear. The right executives can make the difference. Finding the right senior level executives and then keeping them happy means focusing on employees and what they want.
This has a lot to do with how valued the executive feels at a deeper level. You have to offer something more than financial rewards. The reputation of how good a hotel is to work for gets out fast, and if your executives love working at your property, you’ll find staff retention to be a natural occurrence instead of something you have to worry about constantly!
Marshall Alan specializes in placing top senior executives in positions for the long term. When executives feel valued and respected, they are more likely to stay at one position for longer periods of time, especially if the position offers opportunities for even higher advancement!