A Hotel General Manager has a challenging job. At Marshall-Alan Associates, we work hard to match the right executive with the right position.
The role of a hotel general manager is extensive and diverse. General Managers (or GMs) are responsible for the overall operations of all departments in a hotel from the front desk staff and housekeeping all the way up the executive chain of command. Marshall-Alan Associates Inc. knows that even the best qualified and experienced hotel general managers can use a few tips, or reminders, to help make them perform more effectively.
Here are 5 tips for hotel general managers to lead from the front more effectively:
- Spend time on the floor. It is important for the general manager to be visible to not only staff, but guests. This helps employees feel more connected and it also serves to keep them on their toes. As is true in many industries, when the boss is on the floor, employees tend to stay more focused. Nothing reinforces an open door policy as much as this.
- Focus on your strengths rather than obsessing over your weaknesses. This doesn’t mean you can ignore areas you may need to improve, but you have to stay in a positive frame of mind to best dispatch duties. When you have a positive mindset, you can better devote energy to improvement as well as portray an aura of confidence to everyone you interact with.
- View problems as opportunities. A general manager needs to deal with problems, but viewing them as dire issues does not resolve them any better than viewing them as opportunities. If you take this more positive approach, resolving problems can turn into effective training opportunities and new ways of doing business.
- Avoid procrastinating at all costs. The saying “Don’t put off until tomorrow what you can do today” is absolutely true. Meetings, discussions, conflict resolution and rewards should all be handled in a timely manner. This shows that you are aware of what is happening and helps sets this as an important standard for employees to follow.
- Be an effective communicator. Communication is the cornerstone to any leadership position. General managers who communicate their message effectively get the best results. This also includes active and critical listening because communication is a two way street.
A hotel general manager who can effectively follow these few tips from Marshall-Alan Associates Inc. will enjoy greater success. We strive to connect people who possess these skills with our clients, to help ensure greater success for all.